Absolutely the most tender, moist and delicious pumpkin bread you will ever have.
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup sugar (I think 2/3 cup is just right, but some prefer sweeter)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon+1/2 tsp ground cloves+1/4 tsp nutmeg)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, water, oil, salt, and eggs. Beat until well mixed.
- Place a sieve over the bowl and sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves. Mix until smooth.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and dust with flour.
- Bread: Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Muffins: Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve plain, buttered, or with cream cheese.