Wonderful, nutritious Bulgar. Because of this hearty, nutrient dense grain, this Bulgar & Feta Salad is a meal in itself. Bulgar is a great source of manganese, fiber and protein. This salad is bursting with flavor and will hold up great for leftovers.
Original recipe from Nutrition Action.
- 1.5 cups water
- ¾ cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (I think it needs 2 tablespoons)
- ½ hothouse cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste (I prefer 3 tablespoons)
- I like to add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small pot, bring 1½ cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- Stir in the bulgur, turn off the burner, and cover the pot. Allow the bulgur to steep for 10 minutes, then drain and put into a large bowl.
- Toss the bulgur with the oil and aloe to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, and feta. Season with the lemon juice and plenty of pepper.
Sodium: 260 mg
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 8 g
Fiber: 6 g