Overnight Sourdough Waffles – Crisp, light, tender, and airy, with a hint of tang.
Makes 7 waffles
- 2 oz butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 cup milk
- 9 oz sourdough starter (fully hydrated at a 60% water/40% flour hydration) (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 6 oz all purpose flour (1.5 cups)
In the morning:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
The night before…
- Melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and cold milk and salt.
- Add the starter and mix well. Cover and let sit at room temperature 8 hours or overnight.
In the morning…
Start heating a waffle iron.
Add the eggs and baking soda and mix well. Pour 1/2 cup batter into each side of the waffle iron. Mine looks like this.
Makes 3 full and 1 half waffles.