- 2 ripe bananas (or additional 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 chopped apple or zucchini or carrot, shredded in a box grater
- Preheat oven to 400-F. Grease muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl smash bananas with a fork.
- Over the bananas, sift dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a food processor, mix dates, oil, pumpkin, garbanzo beans, vanilla, syrup, egg, and milk.
- Add to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini, oats, and nuts. Mix until combined.
- If the mixture seems dry add up to a 1/4 cup more milk.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
Note – these muffins are not very sweet. I find with baked goods that are low in sugar, they taste sweeter when cold, so I like to store these muffins in the fridge.