- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (or sweet potato puree)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 zuchinni (or carrot), shredded in a box grater
- 1 cup garbanzo beans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400-F. Grease muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
- In a food processor, mix dates, oil, banana, pumpkin, vanilla, syrup, egg and 1/2 cup milk.
- Into the bowl with the dry ingredients add the oats, nuts, zuchinni, along with the ingredients blended in the food processor. Stir until just combined.
- If the mixture seems dry add up to a 1/4 cup more milk.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
Note – these muffins are not very sweet. As with any baked goods that are low in sugar, they taste better refrigerated (in my opinion) and don’t taste as good fresh from the oven. Add about 1/2 cup more sugar to make them taste as sweet as traditional muffins.