- 2 ripe bananas (or additional 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 chopped apple or zucchini or carrot, shredded in a box grater
- Preheat oven to 400-F. Grease muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl smash bananas with a fork.
- Over the bananas, sift dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a food processor, mix dates, oil, pumpkin, garbanzo beans, vanilla, syrup, egg, and milk. Add to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini, oats, and nuts. Mix until combined.
- If the mixture seems dry add up to a 1/4 cup more milk.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
Note – these muffins are not very sweet. As with any baked goods that are low in sugar, they taste better refrigerated (in my opinion) and don’t taste as good fresh from the oven.