This recipe is lower in fat than most traditional recipes as it uses water, rather than oil, to achieve a creamy consistency. The difference in flavor and texture is unnoticeable.
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (taste before adding salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Lightly toast pine nuts (or walnuts).
- Chop basil in food processor or blender.
- Add the nuts, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan. If too thick, add a little water or more olive oil.
- Serve over cooked pasta or chicken.