This recipe is lower in fat than most traditional recipes as it uses water, rather than oil, to achieve the creamy consistency. The difference in flavor and texture is unnoticeable.
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Lightly toast pine nuts (or walnuts).
- In a food processor, chop the basil.
- Add the nuts, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan. If too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste for salt and adjust.