This recipe for pesto sauce is lower in fat than most traditional recipes as it uses mostly water, rather than oil, to achieve the creamy consistency. The difference in flavor and texture is unnoticeable.
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- Lightly toast pine nuts (or walnuts).
- In a food processor, chop the basil.
- Add the nuts, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan. If too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.