Adapted from Sous Vide for Everybody by Americas Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skinless (with or without bones)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 2 tablespoons juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken in two batches until browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in now empty skillet. Add onion and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chipotle, cumin, and allspice, and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and sugar. Scrape all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer mixture to blender and process until smooth.
- Return mixture to the pan and add the chicken. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until the chicken shreds easily when pulled apart with two forks. If using a stove-top pressure cooker, cook for 8 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Use tongs to remove chicken from the pot. Place onto a plate and shred.
- Meanwhile, raise the heat on the pot and gently boil until the sauce is as thick as desired. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Serve with fried corn tortillas. Garnish with sliced avocados, onion, and diced tomatoes.