This is a very simple dish that comes together in 10 minutes. It’s my son’s absolute favorite meal.
- 2 cans cannellini, great northern, or navy beans (or 1.5 cups dried beans soaked overnight in a brine of 1.5 tablespoons kosher salt to 3 quarts water)
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce (preferably Hunts)
- 1 cup chicken broth (I usually use 1 teaspoon Better than Boullion Chicken)
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onions, salt, and pepper and cook, partially covered, until the onions are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce and beans and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for 20 minutes or serve immediately.
Serve over rice.