My son was 6 years old the first time he tried these and asked why we were having dessert for breakfast!
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oat flour (or any flour)
- 1/4 cup flax meal (optional)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a high speed blender, liquefy the carrot and milk. Pour the milk into a bowl and stir in the oats. Let sit for 20 minutes or overnight.
- After 20 add eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix the two bowls together. If the batter seems too thick, add milk – one tablespoon at a time – until the consistency is pourable.
- Heat a greased griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Use the back of a spoon to help spread the pancake so it’s not too thick.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.
- Note: These pancakes tend to brown quickly. Adjust the heat as necessary. You may need to lower the heat and cover the pan if they seem to be browning too quickly.