This salad is inspired by Mendocino Farms’ the Healthiest Side Dish in the World.
- 2 cups shredded raw beets (about 3)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 3)
- 2 cups shredded kale (about 3 stems)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup black rice (this measurement is for uncooked) – add as much black rice as you’d like – the more the heartier.
- a few tablespoons chopped, fresh mint
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes or Espelette
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Boil the black rice in about 2 cups of water until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Drain. Cook the black rice in 3 cups of water. Taste for when they are tender, approximately 10 minutes; Drain.
- Shred the beets and carrot (I use the shredder attachment in my food processor).
- Remove the stems from then kale and shred or chop finely.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and toss with about half of the dressing. Taste and add more dressing as needed.