This salad is inspired by Mendocino Farms’ Healthiest Side Dish in the World.
- 2 cups shredded raw beets (about 3 small beets)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 3)
- 2 cups shredded kale (about 3 stems)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup black rice (this measurement is for uncooked) – add as much black rice as you’d like – the more the heartier.
- a few tablespoons chopped, fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Boil the black rice in about 2 cups of water until tender, approximately 20 minutes (or follow package instructions). Drain.
- Shred the beets and carrot (I use the shredder attachment on my food processor).
- Remove the stems from then kale and shred or chop finely.
- Meanwhile place all ingredients for dressing into a jar with a tight fitting lid. The salad will only need about half this amount so save the rest for another salad or just make a half batch
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and toss with about half of the dressing. Taste and add more dressing as needed.