Rather than paying a higher price to consume artificial flavor, disodium phosphate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, mono and diglycerides, artificial color, yellow 5, yellow 6, bha (preservative)…make your own mix! It only takes a minute.
For the dry ingredients – make in advance and store:
- 1/2 cup granulated *sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened *cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
The wet ingredients when ready to make:
- 3 cups of milk (I use 1%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Have a bowl and a sieve (if you have one) ready. The sieve is to ensure a completely creamy consistency, but is not necessary.
- In a cold saucepan, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Turn on the heat and slowly pour in the milk and whisk.
- Cook, stirring often. Once the mixture thickens, stir constantly until it starts to boil; then remove from heat and pour into the bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Allow to cool, covered, to help prevent a skin from forming on top of the pudding. Stir occasionally as it cools. Refrigerate to cool completely.
*1/3 cup sugar with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder works well too.