Recipe from Food Network
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil. See below for muffins.
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg, vegetable oil and buttermilk, then fold into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
To make muffins:
- Line muffin pan with liners or grease well with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling them just under 2/3’s of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.