This makes just enough dressing for a medium sized head of lettuce. If you want any extra, or if you like your salad heavily dressed, double the recipe.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 1 small or medium head romaine lettuce, chopped or use quartered romaine hearts.
- Shaved parmesan (grated works well too)
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 anchovy filets or 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In the bottom of the salad bowl, mash together the salt, garlic and anchovy to form a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together. If using anchovy paste, the dressing can be made in a mason jar with minced garlic.
- Toss with croutons and shaved parmesan and top with freshly cracked black pepper.