My grandma starting making this long before “Shake and Bake” existed. It’s surprisingly delicious. The allspice is essential!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I prefer Organic Smart Chicken)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoned Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 convection (if you have).
- Place a wire rack over a sheet pan and spray with cooking spray. For easy clean up, line the pan with aluminum foil.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, mix together Panko, flour, olive oil and all the spices and mix well.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and a spoonful of milk or water.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dip both sides of chicken in eggs and then transfer to the Panko mixture. Dredge both sides in the mixture while pressing to adhere.
- Transfer chicken to prepared wire rack, spacing evenly apart. Try not to place the chicken very close together. I once tried making a double batch on one sheet pan and they didn’t cook properly.
- If you’d like, spray the chicken with cooking oil to enhance browning.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the chicken is 165. If the chicken isn’t browned enough, change the heat setting to broil and allow to bake another 3-5 minutes. If you’d like the underside to be browned as well, flip and broil a few minutes.
Bone-in chicken thighs work well too, but cooking time will increase to approximately 30 minutes.