Rather than paying a higher price to consume artificial flavor, disodium phosphate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, mono and diglycerides, artificial color, yellow 5, yellow 6, bha (preservative), make your own mix! It only takes a minute.
For the dry ingredients – make in advance and store:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
The wet ingredients when ready to make:
- 3.5 cups of milk (I use 1%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- In a cold saucepan, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk.
- Turn on the heat, and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and just starts to boil, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and optional butter.
Tip: To ensure a smooth consistency I like to pour the pudding through a fine mesh sieve and into a cold bowl. This process also speeds up the cooling process. Additionally, I like to stir in 1-2 tablespoons cold milk to quicken the cooling time. I’ve found these steps help prevent the “skin” that can form over the pudding. I also add milk at the end if the pudding seems too thick.