Inspired by Ellie Krieger’s Herbed Salmon and Orzo Casserole with Feta. The way the orzo is cooked in minimal liquid, adds a yummy, creaminess.
- 1 (12oz) package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- Salt and pepper
- 1 3/4 cups water or broth (for orzo)
- 1/4 cup water (for artichokes)
- 1 pound large raw shrimp (21-30 count)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups greens (kale, Swiss chard, spinach)
- Juice of a lemon
- Spices – Whatever you like – my preference for this dish is lemon pepper, celery salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided), more for drizzling
- Parmesan or feta cheese for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place fresh or frozen pieces of shrimp in a single layer. Sprinkle each piece with spices of choice.
- Cook for a minute or two and then flip the shrimp. Cook on the second side until pink and no longer translucent. Remove to a plate.
- To the skillet add orzo, water/broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir; continue to cook 3 more minutes or until tender and all liquid is absorbed. If the orzo is still firm, add a bit more water.
- Turn off heat, squeeze some lemon juice on top and taste for salt.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, and artichoke hearts. Allow artichokes to brown slightly.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover for a few minutes until artichokes are tender.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and greens, and toss until the greens are wilted. Remove from heat.
- To the pot with orzo, add the artichokes, greens, and shrimp. Sprinkle with feta or parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.