Adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or more all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup sugar (these are less sweet than typical muffins – add 1/4 cup more to make them sweeter)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup any type of oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas, cut into chunks
Crumb Topping (optional)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease muffin tins or line with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl make the topping: Mix all the ingredients together and use a fork to smash and incorporate the butter or use your fingers to smash it all together.
- In a measuring cup for wet ingredients — First add the oil and then add the egg. Next, add only enough milk to fill the cup, (approximately 1/3 cup milk – the idea is to add only one cup of liquid to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and bananas. Pour into the muffin tins all the way to the top.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes. If they appear to be done, insert a toothpick into the center. If it doesn’t come out clean, check again in 5 minutes.