For the meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground chicken (I like Organic Smart Chicken)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup or 16 grams if using a *Microplane/zester)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- A splash of milk
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- freshly chopped basil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, mix up all the ingredients for the meatballs and form into any sized balls. Place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and cook at a gentle boil for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatballs registers 165.
I make 14 meatballs out of this recipe. Calories are approximately 52 calories each.
Serve with whole wheat linguine. My favorite brand is Delverde.
*I buy blocks of Parmesan or Pecorino Romana from Trader Joe’s and use a Microplane/zester to grate as needed. Hard cheeses such as these last a very long time in the fridge- much longer than pre-grated cheeses. They taste better as well. To store them, wrap them in parchment paper and then in tin foil. It should last at least a month.