Recipe from Americas Test Kitchen. Watch the video here.
Makes 8-10 tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) masa harina
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/3 cups warm water, plus extra as needed
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- In medium bowl, use rubber spatula to stir together masa harina and salt.
- Add warm water and oil and stir until combined.
- Use your hands to knead dough in bowl until dough is soft and has texture of Play-Doh. If dough is too dry, add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and knead until well combined.
- Cover dough with damp dish towel.
- To test whether the dough is ready, make a golf ball–size ball of dough and gently press it flat. If many large cracks form around the edges of the ball when squeezed, the dough is too dry and needs more water.
This one looks too dry. Add a little water.
The one below looks just right.
- Scoop level ¼ cup of dough and use your hands to roll into smooth ball (keep remaining dough covered with dish towel so it doesn’t dry out). Shape tortillas.
- Cut the ends off a ziplock bag. Place the plastic in the tortilla press. Place dough ball in the between the two layers of plastic and press to flatten. Proceed to cook or store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet lightly with vegetable oil spray. Heat over medium heat for 2 minutes. Peel top layer of plastic away from tortilla. Gently place your hand on tortilla, flip tortilla onto your hand, and carefully peel away bottom layer of plastic.
- Drop tortilla into skillet. Cook tortilla until edges begin to dry out, about 1 minute. Use spatula to flip tortilla and cook until second side is browned at edges, about 45 seconds. Flip tortilla again and cook until it begins to puff, about 15 more seconds.
- Use spatula to transfer cooked tortilla to second damp dish towel, and wrap in towel to keep warm. Repeat portioning, shaping, and cooking tortillas with remaining dough to make 9 more tortillas. Lightly spray bag with vegetable oil spray as needed if tortillas begin to stick to plastic. Turn off heat. Serve.
Tortillas can be cooled completely, layered between parchment paper, covered in plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to 3 days. To serve, stack tortillas on microwave‑safe plate and cover with damp dish towel. Heat in microwave until warm, about 30 seconds.