Watch the video here.
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/4 cup warm water, plus more as needed
MAKES 12 TORTILLAS
Prepare the dough
- Mix masa harina, oil, salt and water until well combined.
- Add water and mix until just combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to form mixture into a soft dough. Once it comes together kneed the dough in the bowl.
- Add more water by the tablespoon until the the dough is very soft and has the texture of really wet cookie dough (almost too wet to handle). It may require 3/4 cup water to achieve this consistency
- Cover bowl with kitchen towel for 5 minutes to allow masa to hydrate.
Cook the tortillas
- Cut dough into 12 equal portions (about 3 tablespoons).
- Cut the ends off a ziplock bag. Place the plastic in the tortilla press. Place dough ball in the between the two layers of plastic and press to flatten. Proceed to cook or store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Use a paper towel to wipe it clean (the oil is used to determine the heat of the pan, not for cooking the tortilla).
- Place tortilla on skillet and let set up for 30 seconds.
- Shake the pan and if the tortilla slides, it’s ready to flip.
- Let it cook until spotty brown (about 30-60 seconds)
- Flip again and cook another 30-60 seconds until spotty brown.
- Store cooked tortillas in between 2 damp towels – this allows them to continue cooking in the steam and to remain moist and pliable.