Adapted from All Recipes
- 3/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the blue cornmeal, salt and sugar. Stir in the boiling water until all of the ingredients are wet. Cover, and let stand for a few minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk, egg and melted butter. Stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the cornmeal mixture until just incorporated. If the batter is stiff, add a little more milk.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, and grease it with a dab of oil or butter (I like to use a combo of butter and oil).
- Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Quickly sprinkle a few pignoli onto each cake. When the entire surface of the pancakes are covered with bubbles, flip them over, and cook the other side until golden.