Easy Chicken Pot Pie (lower-fat)
This recipe for chicken-pot-pie is lower in fat than traditional recipes, but just as delicious.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 1-2 stalks celery, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Dash of fresh nutmeg
- Dash of Old Bay Spice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Add the chicken broth, a little at a time, and whisk well. The sauce will begin to thicken. If it’s too thick add more broth.
- Add nutmeg, peas and chicken.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and cover with pie crust. Make a few slits in the top to let steam escape.
- Brush the top with the egg wash (avoiding the very outer rim, which tends to brown quicker).
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil if they are getting too dark.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.