- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, whites & yolks separated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 9 inch baked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350-F.
- Bake pie crust according to package and set aside.
- Add water, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup sugar to a saucepan. Turn on the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly until thick enough to mound slightly when dropped from a spoon. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, beat 3 egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Temper the eggs by adding 1 spoonful of the hot liquid into the egg yolks and stir to incorporate. Repeat with 2 more spoonfuls.
- Add yolks to hot mixture and stir to incorporate; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add 3 tablespoons sugar, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread some meringue around the edge of filling first, touching crust all around then fill in center.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is slightly browned.