This is one of my favorite recipes.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-15oz can Hunts Tomato Sauce (must be Hunts)
- 1 cup water (or fill one of the cans)
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil. Add the minced garlic and stir for a few seconds. Add the ground beef and stir, breaking up the meat very well. Cook the meat until it is totally browned and beginning to stick to the pan. (The meat will become dry as all the moisture is cooked out as it begins to caramelize).
- While the meat is browning, add the allspice, salt and pepper.
- Once the meat has begun to stick to the pan, add the tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, about *15 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, boil salted water and cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Toss with the meat sauce and serve immediately.
*I usually only cook the meat sauce for about 15 minutes – once in a while I’ll put under pressure for about 5 minutes, and sometimes I’ll allow it to simmer on the stove 1-2 hours. These techniques tenderize the meat and deepen the flavor a bit.