Green Beans with Tomato Sauce (Loubieh bil Zayt)
To add meat to this recipe follow the directions for Fasoulia, only substituting green beans for the dried beans.
- 1 one pound bag frozen green bean (I like Trader Joe’s Frozen French Green Beans) Or use fresh with ends trimmed and cut in half
- 8 oz can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil, more for serving
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook for a few minutes until onions have softened.
- Add the green beans, tomato sauce, and water; stir well; cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the green beans are very tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita. Best served cold or at room temperature.