To add meat to this recipe follow the directions for Fasoulia, only substituting green beans for the dried beans.
- 1 one pound bag frozen green beans (or fresh with ends trimmed and cut in half)
- 8 oz can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more for serving
- 1 cup water
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are soft, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the green beans and stir.
- Add the tomato sauce and water and stir.
- Simmer until the green beans are very tender, approximately 30 minutes.
Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita. Best served cold or at room temperature.