The Kale Salad at San Diego’s Kettner Exchange is arguably the best kale salad in town. I was so pleased with myself when I made a version that tasted just like it! This salad will make a kale lover out of anyone.
- 1 large bunch of curly kale
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced (I use a mandolin)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (I like to chop them up)
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil (Kettner Exchange uses lemon-flavored olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Shred the kale as finely as possible.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the dressing over the kale and massage it into the leaves to tenderize them. Once they have wilted down a bit from this process, you can determine how much more dressing you’d like to add. You will probably need all of it, depending on the size of the bunch of kale.
- Add the apples, almonds, raisins, and parmesan and toss well to combine.