- 1.5 pound beef or lamb (or combination of both), cubed
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce (preferably Hunts)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 one-pound packages frozen okra (I prefer frozen baby okra found at middle eastern markets)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook unit browned, approximately 8 minutes.
- If the pot seems dry add 2 teaspoons of oil. Add onions and spices and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat, and simmer until the meat is just tender, approximately 30-45 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Once the meat is tender add the tomato sauce, water and okra. Bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is tender, approximately 30 minutes.
Serve with Rice Pilaf
Pressure cooker instructions:
- Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook unit browned, approximately 8 minutes.
- If the pot seems dry add 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the onions and spices and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add one cup of water and bring the pot to pressure for 8 minutes, Release the pressure at once.
- Add the okra, tomato sauce, and 2 cups of water and bring the pot back up to pressure. Cook 4 minutes. Release the pressure at once.
- Remove the lid of the pressure cooker and cook 5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit.