Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled plum tomatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the red pepper flakes and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes through a sieve and crush them into the pan with your hands. Add salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and place it in the oven for 1.5 hours. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or place the tomato sauce into a blender and puree in batches until it’s a smooth consistency. Return to the pan.
- Reheat the sauce and add 2 tablespoons fresh oregano.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes. Toss the pasta into the sauce and cook for 2 minutes more.