This is a delicious, hearty one-pot meal.
- 1 pound chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery (use the smaller inside pieces), chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 handfuls of barley
- 3 zuchinni, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage, chopped
- 4 large red potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- a handful of green beans
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- 1/2 bag frozen corn
- Small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Boil the beef and barley in a large pot. Just before it reaches a boil, skim off all the foam. Cook the meat until it is tender.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, green beans, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetable and cook until tender.
- Taste and add salt, as needed.