Adapted from Betty Crocker
This also makes a great filling for burritos or tacos.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 oz package taco seasoning mix (homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 4 (6 inch) flour tortillas, sliced into 1-inch strips (or corn tortillas)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (I like to use 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella and 1/2 cup cheddar)
- Toppings: 1/4 cup sliced green onions, sour cream, guacamole
- Optional step: Before cutting the tortillas into 1-inch strips, heat them on a dry skillet until slightly puffed. If using corn tortillas you can spray or brush on a little oil and heat them on the skillet as well.
- In a large skillet, brown meat until no longer pink. If using turkey, coat the bottom of the pan with oil.
- Add taco seasoning, water, salsa and beans. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the tortilla strips and then top with cheese. Remove skillet from heat and let cheese melt.
- Top with sour cream and sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.