Adapted from King Arthur Flour
- 1/3 cup (67g) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (198g) sugar (I use 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar)
- 1 cup (227g) pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon each ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups (149g) all-purpose flour (I use 3/4 cup all-purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
Cream Cheese frosting – See here for half batch
I cut this recipe in half and lightly frost the cupcakes (as pictured above)
- 1/2 cup (113g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (43g) butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups (198g) confectioners’ sugar (I use 1 1/4 cup sugar -150g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (32g) finely diced crystallized ginger (I skip this)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin or use cupcake liners.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, salt, and baking powder till smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Fill each well with 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean with a crumb or two attached.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the icing (If the butter and cream cheese are cold, warm them very briefly in the microwave, just till they feel soft but haven’t begun to melt).
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla till smooth.
- Spread the soft frosting atop the completely cooled cupcakes
- Sprinkle with the crystallized ginger.