Adapted from Oh Sweet Basil.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes (or more for heat)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16oz can Hunts tomato sauce
- 3-4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Recipe for Sourdough Pizza Dough or simple, quick Mom’s pizza dough.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano. Stir a few times and allow the herbs to bloom.
- Add brown sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, parmesan, and water.
- Stir to combine and bring to a light boil.
- Turn down to low, season to taste and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.