Inspired by Ina Garten
- 1 recipe for 3 Ingredient Simple Delicious Tomato Sauce
- 2 medium/large eggplant (see below how to pick a good eggplant)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pound part skim mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound spaghetti
Step 1: Make the Sauce.
Step 2: Broil the eggplant:
- Wash and dry the eggplant. With a vegetable peeler, peel some of the skin off the eggplant. It will look like stripes when you are done (leaving all the skin can make it bitter or tough).
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch disks and lay them on a sheet pan.
- With a pastry brush, coat each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Flip them over and repeat.
- Place the sheet pan about 7 inches under the broiler (I use low-heat broil setting) and cook until the eggplant is extremely browned, verging on burnt). Check on them every 2-4 minutes while they broil, as some pieces will need to be flipped and removed before others.
- Set the oven to 400-F.
- In a 10x14x2-inch baking dish, spread a third of the tomato sauce.
- Arrange the eggplant on top.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each piece of eggplant.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until bubbling.
- While the eggplant is baking, cook the pasta. Drain and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
How to pick a good eggplant:
When picking out an eggplant choose a “male” which tends to have less seeds. To tell, look on the bottom – if there is a circle it is “male” (left side of photo) and if there is a line it is “female”.