This is a such an easy, delicious recipe that takes 5 minus to put together.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (or 8-10 bone-in chicken thighs)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, whole/peeled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- Place all ingredients except cornstarch in a large pot; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, mix cornstarch with a little cold water until it’s smooth. Tilt the pot so you can access the liquid. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the hot liquid and swirl the liquid around the pot to incorporate it. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes. ALTERNATIVELY, remove the chicken from the pot; set aside to debone and shred. Meanwhile, add the cornstarch to the broth and bring to a boil. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and serve.
Serve over white rice.
Stove-top pressure cooker variation – Add all the ingredients except cornstarch and cook at pressure for 8 minutes. Removed chicken, add cornstarch, and boil the sauce until it reduces and thickens.