This is a delicious, quick and easy recipe.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up or 8-10 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, whole/peeled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Place chicken in a large pot or dutch oven (or sear it first in a bit of oil). Add the rest of the ingredients, except cornstarch; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, put the cornstarch and a little water into a small bowl to make a slurry. Pour into the chicken and cook another 10 minutes.
Serve over white rice.
Pressure cooker variation – Add chicken to a pot (or sear first in a bit of oil) add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Removed chicken and boil the sauce down for about 20 minutes until thickened.