I haven’t tested this recipe yet.
Recipe from Americas Test Kitchen.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk (or whole milk)
- 6 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust, pre-baked (I like graham cracker crust – see recipe below)
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1. Whisk first 4 ingredients over no heat.
2. Add milk and whisk well.
3. Turn on heat to medium.
4. Whisk often for about 8-10 minutes until it starts to boil. Allow it to boil gently for a few seconds and remove from heat.
5. Add chopped chocolate, butter and vanilla and stir well.
6. Pour into prepared pie shell and cover with greased parchment paper until it is cool enough to put in refrigerator.
7. Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours and top with whipped cream.
8. Serve immediately.
Graham cracker crust
- 12 Graham Crackers
- 1/4 cup butter (half stick), melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add graham crackers and sugar to a food processor and blend until graham crackers are very fine.
- Drizzle in butter and mix well to incorporate.
- Pour onto a pie plate and gently press into the bottom and sides.
- Bake for 7 minutes.