Most sweet potato pie recipes seem to have a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat. Sweet potatoes are just that – sweet. They don’t need a ton of added sugar. They are also creamy and don’t need a ton of extra fat. This recipe has significantly less sugar and fat, yet you won’t notice the difference.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (approximately 2)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple pie or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust
For the sweet potatoes–
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Place them in an aluminum foil lined baking dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and skin loosens, approximately 35-45 minutes.
For the pie–
- Preheat oven to 350-F.
- Peel potatoes and mash well in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the bowls and blend well with an electric mixer.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake until pie is set (knife in the center comes out clean) approximately 55 minutes.
Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.