Most sweet potato pie recipes seem to have a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat. This lightens things up, but tastes just as delicious.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (approximately 2)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple pie or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust
For the sweet potatoes–
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Place them in an aluminum foil lined baking dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and skin loosens, approximately 35-45 minutes.
For the pie–
- Preheat oven to 350-F.
- Peel potatoes and mash well in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the bowls and blend well with an electric mixer.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake until pie is set (knife in the center comes out clean) approximately 55 minutes.
Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.
To make this into a sweet potato casserole, omit the crust and add a streusel topping.
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows optional
- Mix brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter together and spread evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Cook for 30 minutes until topping has browned. During the final 10 minutes of baking add the mini marshmallows.
Recipe for topping found here.