- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fine bulgar (size #1)
- 2 bunches flat leaf parsley, stems removed and finely chopped (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 bunch curly parsley, stems removed and finely chopped (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 bunch fresh mint, stems removed and finely chopped
- 4 cups (about 3.5 lbs or 5-6 medium), chopped with all their juice
- 1 bunch scallions (about 6) – include green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, minced (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (I’ve used up to 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoons allspice (I’ve used up to 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Place the bulgar in a large salad bowl. Place the chopped tomatoes on top of the bulgar and let the juice from the tomatoes soften the bulgar while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
- Leave the bunch of parsley intact. Fill a large bowl of water and using the stems as a handle, plunge the parsley in and out of the water to loosen any sand. Dump the water and repeat 3 times or until no sand is visible in the bottom of the bowl. Shake out the water and chop finely.
- Chop the rest of the vegetables and add to the bowl. Add the lemon, oil and spices directly into the bowl and toss very well.
- At this point let the salad sit and marinate for a few minutes. Taste it again and adjust the dressing as needed.
Serve with whole romaine lettuce leaves.