Cooking oats with milk and a tempered egg completely transforms an ordinary bowl of oatmeal.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk, oats, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until hot.
- Meanwhile, beat an egg and temper it by adding a bit of the hot oatmeal into the bowl with the egg and mix well. Add a bit more hot oatmeal to the egg and then pour the egg mixture into the pot with the oatmeal.
- Once oatmeal has reached desired consistency after at least 10 minutes, remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter, and let stand 2 minutes before serving.
- I like to top mine with a chopped date, pecans or walnuts, brown sugar, and a drizzle of cold milk.