The kale salad at San Diego’s Kettner Exchange is arguably the best kale salad in town. I was so pleased with myself when I made a version that tasted just like it! This salad will make a kale lover out of anyone.
- 1 bunch curly kale (Kettner uses purple kale)
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds (or sliced roasted almonds)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (Kettner Exchange uses lemon-flavored olive oil and probably uses double this amount. I prefer it a little more acidic)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (I like clover honey for salad dressing)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper or place in a jar and shake well.
- Shred the kale as finely as possible. Place in a salad bowl and gently massage the kale with your hands until it starts to break down.
- Add the apples, almonds, raisins, parmesan, and dressing, and toss well to combine.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes and toss again.