The kale salad at San Diego’s Kettner Exchange is arguably the best kale salad in town. I was so pleased with myself when I made a version that tasted just like it! This salad will make a kale lover out of anyone.
- 6 oz bunch of curly kale (purple if you can find it)
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced (I use a mandolin)
- 1/3 cup cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds (or sliced roasted almonds)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (Kettner Exchange uses lemon-flavored olive oil and probably uses double this amount. I like it a little more acidic)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Shred the kale as finely as possible.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the dressing over the kale and massage it into the leaves to tenderize them. Once they have wilted down a bit from this process, you can determine how much more dressing you’d like to add. You will probably need all of it,
- Add the apples, almonds, raisins, and parmesan and toss well to combine.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes and toss again.