The simple addition of a tempered egg and a pat of butter to ordinary will transform your ordinary bowl of oatmeal.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 date, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk, oats, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, beat an egg and temper it by adding a bit of the hot oatmeal into the bowl with the egg and mix well. Add a bit more hot oatmeal to the egg and then pour the egg mixture into the pot with the oatmeal.
- Once oatmeal has reached desired consistency after at least 10 minutes, remove from heat, add vanilla, and let stand 2 minutes before serving.
- I like to top mine with a chopped date, flax meal and a drizzle of cold milk.