Adapted from Modern Honey
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 2 Vanilla Beans or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Combine the cream, milk, and vanilla beans into the medium pot. Start to heat mixture over low heat.
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together in a small bowl until fully combined.
- When the cream mixture reaches 95 degrees or feels warm to the touch, remove from the heat. Carefully, add 1/4 of the cream mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly until blended. Do not add all of the cream mixture at once to the eggs. You want to slowly add heated cream a little at a time to temper the yolks. Whisk the tempered yolks into remaining warmed cream mixture. Return pot to medium-low heat.
- Cook the ice cream base over medium low heat until it reaches 185 degrees or is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean pods, if using, and scrape vanilla beans into ice cream or add vanilla extract.
- Pour ice cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl to cool.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- When the ice cream base has cooled, pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacture’s instructions.
- When finished churning, transfer to airtight container. Allow ice cream to harden in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.