Adapted from Betty Crocker
To convert to Butterscotch or Chocolate Pudding see below.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Gradually stir at least half of the hot mixture into egg yolks, then stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour pudding into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Butterscotch Pudding: sub in dark brown sugar for the regular granulated sugar.
- Chocolate Pudding: increase sugar to 1/2 cup, stir 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder into sugar mixture. Omit butter.