Vanilla Pudding or Custard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 1 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make custard add:
- 2 eggs
- Decrease milk to 2.5 cups
- Off heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs (if using) in a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 172-180 degrees (or starts to boil), approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- If using eggs, pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and into a bowl for cooling.
- Spray a round piece of parchment paper with cooking spray and cover the surface of the custard. Refrigerate until the pudding is completely cold, approximately 2-3 hours.
- When the pudding is cool, remove the parchment and whisk or beat with a blender to cream it up. Sometimes I add a bit of milk if it seems too thick.